THIS IS IT! The final day of the 2019 Minnesota State Fair! It’s now or never, so if there’s a food item you want to try, an exhibit you want to check out, a product you want to buy or an animal you want to pet, today is your last chance until next year. It’s always sad to see the Fair go, but if it were permanent it wouldn’t be as special as it is. Let’s hope for a beautiful final day, get out there and enjoy it!
Below is a selection of what we think is most worthy of checking out on Day Twelve; for a full daily schedule, visit the Minnesota State Fair official site at http://www.mnstatefair.org:
- 9:00am: Minnesota Horse Show Speed Events Finals (Coliseum) — dazzling horses and riders will amaze the crowds at the Coliseum while competing in several agility events like barrel racing and pole weaving.
- 9:30-11:30am: Cornbread Harris (AFL-CIO Labor Pavilion) — Harris is a Twin Cities music legend, with a history of playing his blues music in various venues all over town.
- 11:00am: Trivia Mafia (Star Tribune Stage) — play a game of team trivia with questions pulled from the Star Tribune’s archives for fantastic prizes.
- 11:00am, 1:00pm and 3:00pm: Raptor Displays and Flying Demonstrations (DNR Building Garden Stage) — Make your way to the DNR Garden Stage for Last Chance Forever Conservancy’s raptor show, which they have presented at the Fair for many years running. Owls, falcons and hawks swoop over the crowd and the intelligent conservationists dazzle with facts about these majestic creatures.
- 12:00-3:00pm: Purple Current Karaoke (MPR Booth) — The Current hosts a Prince karaoke stage where you can sing along to the Purple One’s hits with hundreds of other Minnesotans.
- 12:30pm and 5:00pm: Sean Emery (Family Fair Stage) — this one is great for the kids, though usually the biggest laughs come from the adults in the audience. Sean Emery is a State Fair legend, performing his juggling act at the Family Fair Stage for decades. I can personally attest, after watching dozens of performances and doing a whole lot of growing up in the meantime, Emery’s act has never lost its luster.
- 1:00pm and 2:30pm: The Peterson Brothers (Leinie Lodge Bandshell) — two guitar virtuosos combine soul, funk, blues and jazz for a one-of-a-kind performance.
- 3:00pm and 6:00pm: Bulls and Barrels Championship (Coliseum) — bull riding and barrel racing action combined into one big rodeo-style show inside the spacious Coliseum.
- 3:00pm, 4:00pm and 5:00pm: The Galactic Cowboy Orchestra (West End Market) — combining jazz, classical, bluegrass and art-rock influences, this band brings a sound that is all their own.
- 3:30pm and 4:45pm: The BB King Blues Band featuring Michael Lee (Leinie Lodge Bandshell) — the blues legend’s band are back together, performing with “The Voice” contestant Michael Lee.
- 7:00pm: ZZ Top with special guest Cheap Trick (Grandstand) — two Rock & Roll Hall of Fame bands close out the action in the Grandstand with a concert full of hits and guitar riffs (and some legendary beards).
- 8:00pm: Jaedyn James & The Hunger (West End Market) — neo-soul and funk with a horn section and powerful lead vocals.
8:30pm: Dessa (Leinie Lodge Bandshell) — the 2019 Minnesota State Fair closes out with one of the hottest free stage performers in recent memory, as Twin Cities rap star Dessa brings her melodic, wordy and fierce music to the Bandshell stage for two nights of shows. Get to the stage early, as the seats and all available standing room around the stage are sure to fill up quickly for this headline-level talent. These may be the best performances of the entire Fair, not to be missed!
- 9:15pm: Laser Encore’s Laser Hitz Show (Eco Experience) — lasers and music combine for a visual spectacle each night of the Fair, outside the Eco Experience building.