Just two days left for the Minnesota State Fair this year! It’s now or never if you haven’t gone yet, and you’re bound to be joined by a couple hundred thousand fellow Minnesotans getting their final fix of the Fair. Make the most of the waning hours of the Fair out there!
Below is a selection of what we think is most worthy of checking out on Day Eleven; for a full daily schedule, visit the Minnesota State Fair official site at http://www.mnstatefair.org:
- 9:00am, 1:00pm and 6:00pm: Minnesota Horse Show Speed Events (Coliseum) — dazzling horses and riders will amaze the crowds at the Coliseum while competing in several agility events like barrel racing and pole weaving.
- 11:00am, 1:00pm and 3:00pm: Raptor Displays and Flying Demonstrations (DNR Building Garden Stage) — Make your way to the DNR Garden Stage for Last Chance Forever Conservancy’s raptor show, which they have presented at the Fair for many years running. Owls, falcons and hawks swoop over the crowd and the intelligent conservationists dazzle with facts about these majestic creatures.
- 12:30pm and 5:00pm: Sean Emery (Family Fair Stage) — this one is great for the kids, though usually the biggest laughs come from the adults in the audience. Sean Emery is a State Fair legend, performing his juggling act at the Family Fair Stage for decades. I can personally attest, after watching dozens of performances and doing a whole lot of growing up in the meantime, Emery’s act has never lost its luster.
- 1:00pm: Trivia Mafia (Star Tribune Stage) — play a game of team trivia with questions pulled from the Star Tribune’s archives for fantastic prizes.
- 1:00pm and 2:30pm: The Peterson Brothers (Leinie Lodge Bandshell) — two guitar virtuosos combine soul, funk, blues and jazz for a one-of-a-kind performance.
- 2:30pm: 22nd Annual Great Minnesota Moo-Off Contest (Moo Booth) — contestants in three age divisions perform their best cow impressions in a competition that will be a-MOO-sing.
- 3:00pm, 4:00pm and 5:00pm: The Galactic Cowboy Orchestra (West End Market) — combining jazz, classical, bluegrass and art-rock influences, this band brings a sound that is all their own.
- 3:30pm and 4:45pm: The BB King Blues Band featuring Michael Lee (Leinie Lodge Bandshell) — the blues legend’s band are back together, performing with “The Voice” contestant Michael Lee.
- 4:30pm: Dessa interview (Star Tribune Stage) — Star Tribune music reporter Chris Reimenschneider will interview tonight’s Bandshell headliner, local rapper phenom Dessa.
- 7:30pm: Amateur Talent Contest Finals (Grandstand) — now in it’s 47th year, the Amateur Talent Contest seeks the state’s best performers in three different age divisions. The finals, held inside the Grandstand, are the culmination of the previous ten days of qualifying rounds held nightly at the Leinie Lodge Bandshell. Free to attend, this showcase of singers, musicians, dancers, and a variety of other acts is always inspiring to watch. Be sure to stick around after the champions are crowned for the fireworks show!
- 8:00pm: Jaedyn James & The Hunger (West End Market) — neo-soul and funk with a horn section and powerful lead vocals.
- 8:30pm: Dessa (Leinie Lodge Bandshell) — the 2019 Minnesota State Fair closes out with one of the hottest free stage performers in recent memory, as Twin Cities rap star Dessa brings her melodic, wordy and fierce music to the Bandshell stage for two nights of shows. Get to the stage early, as the seats and all available standing room around the stage are sure to fill up quickly for this headline-level talent. These may be the best performances of the entire Fair, not to be missed!
- 9:15pm: Laser Encore’s Laser Hitz Show (Eco Experience) — lasers and music combine for a visual spectacle each night of the Fair, outside the Eco Experience building.