THIS IS IT! The final day of the 2018 Minnesota State Fair! It’s now or never, so if there’s a food item you want to try, an exhibit you want to check out, a product you want to buy or an animal you want to pet, today is your last chance until next year. It’s always sad to see the Fair go, but if it were permanent it wouldn’t be as special as it is. Let’s hope for a beautiful final day, and chances are someone today will be the record 2 millionth visitor this year too, so go make some history while you’re at it!
Below is a selection of what we think is most worthy of checking out on Day Twelve; for a full daily schedule, visit the Minnesota State Fair official site at http://www.mnstatefair.org:
- 9:00am: Minnesota Horse Show Speed Events Finals (Coliseum) — dazzling horses and riders will amaze the crowds at the Coliseum while competing in several agility events like barrel racing and pole weaving.
- 10:00am: Cornbread Harris (AFL-CIO Labor Pavilion) — Harris is a Twin Cities music legend, with a history of playing his blues music in various venues all over town.
- 10:00am, 12:00pm, 2:00pm and 4:00pm: Doberman Drill Team (Pet Pavilions) — beautiful Doberman dogs and their handlers synchronize their movement with music in what should be an entertaining spectacle for any lover of four-legged friends.
- 11:00am, 1:00pm and 3:00pm: Raptor Displays and Flying Demonstrations (DNR Building Garden Stage) — Make your way to the DNR Garden Stage for Last Chance Forever Conservancy’s raptor show, which they have presented at the Fair for many years running. Owls, falcons and hawks swoop over the crowd and the intelligent conservationists dazzle with facts about these majestic creatures.
- 12:30pm and 5:00pm: Sean Emery (Family Fair Stage) — this one is great for the kids, though usually the biggest laughs come from the adults in the audience. Sean Emery is a State Fair legend, performing his juggling act at the Family Fair Stage for decades. I can personally attest, after watching dozens of performances and doing a whole lot of growing up in the meantime, Emery’s act has never lost its luster.
- 1:00pm and 2:30pm: The Secret Sisters (Leinie Lodge Bandshell) — an Americana duo that will dazzle with harmonies as they perform their original songs.
- 3:00pm and 6:00pm: Bulls and Barrels Championship (Coliseum) — bull riding and barrel racing action combined into one big rodeo-style show inside the spacious Coliseum.
- 3:00pm, 4:00pm and 5:00pm: Humbird (West End Market) — local indie-folk music that features unique lyrical themes.
- 3:15pm, 4:30pm and 5:45pm: Walter Chancellor Jr. Band feat. Thomasina (International Bazaar) — modern jazz and R&B with powerful vocals from Thomasina.
- 3:30pm and 4:45pm: Terrance Simien and the Zydeco Experience (Leinie Lodge Bandshell) — New Orleans-style zydeco music blended with reggae influences will get the crowd at the Bandshell up on their feet.
- 6:00pm: C. Willi Myles (Leinie Lodge Bandshell) — talented all-ages stand-up comedy from a gifted storyteller will split sides in the crowd.
- 6:30pm: Culture Club and The B-52s (Grandstand) — the 1980s will come alive again with this double-header of hit-makers from the decade take the Grandstand stage.
- 8:00pm: Church of Cash (West End Market) — the music of Johnny Cash will come alive as this talented tribute band faithfully performs the Man in Black’s biggest hits.
- 8:30pm: Har Mar Superstar (Leinie Lodge Bandshell) — a Twin Cities cult favorite, Har Mar Superstar performs his own brand of high-energy soul music that is as unpredictable as it is entertaining.
- 9:15pm: Laser Encore’s Laser Hitz Show (Eco Experience) — lasers and music combine for a visual spectacle each night of the Fair, outside the Eco Experience building.