Just two days left for the Minnesota State Fair this year! It’s now or never if you haven’t gone yet, and you’re bound to be joined by a couple hundred thousand fellow Minnesotans getting their final fix of the Fair. Make the most of the waning hours of the Fair out there!
Below is a selection of what we think is most worthy of checking out on Day Eleven; for a full daily schedule, visit the Minnesota State Fair official site at http://www.mnstatefair.org:
- 9:00am, 1:00pm and 6:00pm: Minnesota Horse Show Speed Events (Coliseum) — dazzling horses and riders will amaze the crowds at the Coliseum while competing in several agility events like barrel racing and pole weaving.
- 11:00am: Trivia Mafia (Star Tribune Stage) — play a game of team trivia with questions pulled from the Star Tribune’s archives for fantastic prizes.
- 11:00am, 1:00pm and 3:00pm: Raptor Displays and Flying Demonstrations (DNR Building Garden Stage) — Make your way to the DNR Garden Stage for Last Chance Forever Conservancy’s raptor show, which they have presented at the Fair for many years running. Owls, falcons and hawks swoop over the crowd and the intelligent conservationists dazzle with facts about these majestic creatures.
- 12:30pm and 5:00pm: Sean Emery (Family Fair Stage) — this one is great for the kids, though usually the biggest laughs come from the adults in the audience. Sean Emery is a State Fair legend, performing his juggling act at the Family Fair Stage for decades. I can personally attest, after watching dozens of performances and doing a whole lot of growing up in the meantime, Emery’s act has never lost its luster.
- 1:00pm and 2:30pm: The Secret Sisters (Leinie Lodge Bandshell) — an Americana duo that will dazzle with harmonies as they perform their original songs.
- 2:30pm: 21st Annual Great Minnesota Moo-Off Contest (Moo Booth) — contestants in three age divisions perform their best cow impressions in a competition that will be a-MOO-sing.
- 3:00pm, 4:00pm and 5:00pm: Humbird (West End Market) — local indie-folk music that features unique lyrical themes.
- 3:15pm, 4:30pm and 5:45pm: Walter Chancellor Jr. Band feat. Thomasina (International Bazaar) — modern jazz and R&B with powerful vocals from Thomasina.
- 3:30pm and 4:45pm: Terrance Simien and the Zydeco Experience (Leinie Lodge Bandshell) — New Orleans-style zydeco music blended with reggae influences will get the crowd at the Bandshell up on their feet.
- 6:00pm: C. Willi Myles (Leinie Lodge Bandshell) — talented all-ages stand-up comedy from a gifted storyteller will split sides in the crowd.
- 7:30pm: Amateur Talent Contest Finals (Grandstand) — ten days of talent contest semi-finals have led to this grand finale, as acts from three different age divisions compete for a cash prize and the honor of being a Talent Contest champion. Free admission, but come early as the Grandstand comes close to filling up for this entertaining show.
- 8:00pm: Church of Cash (West End Market) — the music of Johnny Cash will come alive as this talented tribute band faithfully performs the Man in Black’s biggest hits.
- 8:30pm: Har Mar Superstar (Leinie Lodge Bandshell) — a Twin Cities cult favorite, Har Mar Superstar performs his own brand of high-energy soul music that is as unpredictable as it is entertaining.
- 9:15pm: Laser Encore’s Laser Hitz Show (Eco Experience) — lasers and music combine for a visual spectacle each night of the Fair, outside the Eco Experience building.