Good luck dodging the crowds on Saturday; today is historically the busiest day of the Fair. Last-minute Fairgoers are looking to get in as much of the Fair as they can pack in. It will feel at times like the entire state decided to go to the Fair today. However, if you can avoid feeling packed in like a tuna, there’s a lot of fun that can be had on a big Saturday at the Fair, so make the most of it, embrace your neighbors, and enjoy the Great Minnesota Get-Together!
Below is a selection of what we think is most worthy of checking out on Day Ten; for a full daily schedule, visit the Minnesota State Fair official site at http://www.mnstatefair.org:
- 9:00am, 11:00am, 1:00pm, 3:00pm and 5:00pm: Animal Inn Junior Showmanship (Pet Pavilions) — kids aged 8-18 will compete in handling their canine companions around a show ring and through an agility course.
- 10:30am and 11:45am: Sunpie and the Louisiana Sunspots (Leinie Lodge Bandshell) — early morning New Orleans-style zydeco music to get your day started right, with heavy Afro-Caribbean influences from the legendary musicians.
- 10:45am, 12:00pm and 1:15pm: Black Market Brass (International Bazaar) — the sizable Minneapolis-based brass band will get people up and dancing early with their loud and vibrant sound.
- 11:00am: Trivia Mafia (Star Tribune Stage) — play a game of team trivia with questions pulled from the Star Tribune’s archives for fantastic prizes.
- 11:00am, 1:00pm and 3:00pm: Raptor Displays and Flying Demonstrations (DNR Building Garden Stage) — Make your way to the DNR Garden Stage for Last Chance Forever Conservancy’s raptor show, which they have presented at the Fair for many years running. Owls, falcons and hawks swoop over the crowd and the intelligent conservationists dazzle with facts about these majestic creatures.
- 11:30am-2:15pm: Minnesota Americana-Roots Band Contest (West End Market) — bands in the old-timey genre of roots music compete on stage for cash prizes and notoriety, providing spectators with an entertaining show of talented musicians.
- 12:30pm and 5:00pm: Sean Emery (Family Fair Stage) — this one is great for the kids, though usually the biggest laughs come from the adults in the audience. Sean Emery is a State Fair legend, performing his juggling act at the Family Fair Stage for decades. I can personally attest, after watching dozens of performances and doing a whole lot of growing up in the meantime, Emery’s act has never lost its luster.
- 2:30pm: Milk Chug-A-Lug Contest (Moo Booth) — an old-fashioned milk chugging contest will dazzle (and gross out) spectators as contestants compete in three different age divisions to see how much of the dairy product they can down quickly.
- 3:15pm, 4:30pm and 5:45pm: The Men of New Hope (International Bazaar) — the sounds of a cappella harmony will fill the air as this talented group of singers perform their uplifting songs.
- 3:30pm and 4:45pm: Cowboy Mouth (Leinie Lodge Bandshell) — a punk rock sensibility will invade the Bandshell stage as this Louisiana band brings their raw energy up the river to the Fair.
- 6:00pm: Minnesota Horse Show Speed Events (Coliseum) — dazzling horses and riders will amaze the crowds at the Coliseum while competing in several agility events like barrel racing and pole weaving.
- 6:00pm: Minnesota State Fair Amateur Talent Contest (Leinie Lodge Bandshell Stage) — watch as contestants in various age divisions compete for the opportunity to advance to the Talent Contest Finals, held Sunday, September 2nd in the Grandstand.
- 8:00pm: Chastity Brown (West End Market) — talented folk-pop singer-songwriter Chastity Brown will bring her smartly-written lyrics and melodic acoustic guitar to the Schilling Amphitheater for an intimate and powerful performance.
- 8:00pm: Tropical Zone Orchestra (International Bazaar) — if you’re in the mood for music with some Latin flavor, this salsa fusion band will light up your evening. Bring your dancing shoes!
- 8:30pm: Steve Augeri (Leinie Lodge Bandshell) — rock out with the former lead singer of Journey as he pulls out songs from his time with the best-selling band as well as his own original tunes for an energetic performance to close out the Bandshell stage for the evening.
- 9:15pm: Laser Encore’s Laser Hitz Show (Eco Experience) — lasers and music combine for a visual spectacle each night of the Fair, outside the Eco Experience building.