One last mid-week day to enjoy traditionally smaller crowds at the Fair, and then it’s on to the home stretch for the big holiday weekend. Thursday is Seniors Day at the Fair, but there are also discounts on Midway and Kidway rides to thrill Fairgoers of all ages.
Below is a selection of what we think is most worthy of checking out on Day Eight; for a full daily schedule, visit the Minnesota State Fair official site at http://www.mnstatefair.org:
- 10:00-11:00am: MPR News Interview: Sean Sherman “The Sioux Chef” with Host Tom Crann (MPR Booth) — an interview with rising culinary star Sherman, writer of a cookbook specializing in Native American cuisine.
- 10:45am, 12:00pm and 1:15pm: Natania and Ticket to Brasil (International Bazaar) — go to the vibrant International Bazaar stage for bossa nova and Brazilian jazz led by vocalist Natania that is sure to kick your day off with energy.
- 11:00am: Trivia Mafia (Star Tribune Stage) — play a game of team trivia with questions pulled from the Star Tribune’s archives for fantastic prizes.
- 11:00am, 1:00pm and 3:00pm: Raptor Displays and Flying Demonstrations (DNR Building Garden Stage) — Make your way to the DNR Garden Stage for Last Chance Forever Conservancy’s raptor show, which they have presented at the Fair for many years running. Owls, falcons and hawks swoop over the crowd and the intelligent conservationists dazzle with facts about these majestic creatures.
- 12:15pm: Agrilympics: Celebrity Butter Carving Contest (Moo Booth) — local celebrities have 20 minutes to turn their block of butter into the most artistic creation they can manage in the 17th annual edition of this competition.
- 12:30pm and 5:00pm: Sean Emery (Family Fair Stage) — this one is great for the kids, though usually the biggest laughs come from the adults in the audience. Sean Emery is a State Fair legend, performing his juggling act at the Family Fair Stage for decades. I can personally attest, after watching dozens of performances and doing a whole lot of growing up in the meantime, Emery’s act has never lost its luster.
- 3:15pm, 4:30pm and 5:45pm: Annie Mack Band (International Bazaar) — locally-based blues singer Annie Mack and her band look to keep the strong string of great music at the International Bazaar going with her powerful voice.
- 4:30pm: Llama Obstacle Course (Compeer Arena) — watch the action while handlers lead notoriously stubborn llamas through a complicated obstacle course in one of the Fair’s marquee events. Yes, seriously.
- 5:00pm: Explosion Big Band (AFL-CIO Labor Pavilion) — a massive 20+ member old school big band play classic songs with a huge sound that evokes their name. Do not miss these guys, they put on a fantastic performance every year at the Fair.
- 6:00pm: Minnesota State Fair Amateur Talent Contest (Leinie Lodge Bandshell Stage) — watch as contestants in various age divisions compete for the opportunity to advance to the Talent Contest Finals, held Sunday, September 2nd in the Grandstand.
- 6:00pm: Tim Harmston (West End Market) — laughs will fill the air surrounding the Schilling Amphitheater as Minneapolis-based stand-up comedian Tim Harmston brings his act to the Fair stage.
- 9:15pm: Laser Encore’s Laser Hitz Show (Eco Experience) — lasers and music combine for a visual spectacle each night of the Fair, outside the Eco Experience building.