Fun fact: the Minnesota State Fair only has one Tuesday each year, and this is it! Let’s make the most of it by checking out some of the great events the Fair has to offer today. Today is Military Appreciation Day at the Fair, with demonstrations and presentations about the armed services throughout the Fairgrounds, especially around Dan Patch Park.
Below is a selection of what we think is most worthy of checking out on Day Six; for a full daily schedule, visit the Minnesota State Fair official site at http://www.mnstatefair.org:
- 10:30am and 11:45am: The 34th Infantry Division “Red Bull” Band (Leinie Lodge Bandshell Stage) — celebrate Military Day at the Fair with a special performance from the members of the Minnesota National Guard that make up the Red Bull Band, which has been in service for 118 years.
- 12:15pm: Agrilympics Celebrity Farm Animal Calling Contest (Moo Booth) — local celebrities compete for the title of best animal caller as they test out their best impressions of various creatures.
- 12:30pm and 5:00pm: Sean Emery (Family Fair Stage) — this one is great for the kids, though usually the biggest laughs come from the adults in the audience. Sean Emery is a State Fair legend, performing his juggling act at the Family Fair Stage for decades. I can personally attest, after watching dozens of performances and doing a whole lot of growing up in the meantime, Emery’s act has never lost its luster.
- 1:00pm: Trivia Mafia (Star Tribune Stage) — play a game of team trivia with questions pulled from the Star Tribune’s archives for fantastic prizes.
- 3:00pm, 4:00pm and 5:00pm: The WoodPicks (West End Market) — hailing from Northern Minnesota, this five piece band performs original songs and their own versions of classics from the realm of country and Americana music.
- 3:30pm and 4:45pm: Ben Haggard (Leinie Lodge Bandshell Stage) — the son of country music legend Merle Haggard, Ben Haggard has the pedigree of music royalty as he ventures into a music career all his own.
- 6:00pm: Minnesota State Fair Amateur Talent Contest (Leinie Lodge Bandshell Stage) — watch as contestants in various age divisions compete for the opportunity to advance to the Talent Contest Finals, held Sunday, September 2nd in the Grandstand.
- 8:00pm: The Dustbowl Revival (West End Market) — a massive eight-member band out of California will keep the party going at West End Market well into the evening with their unique blend of funk, bluegrass and roots music that is high-energy and danceable.
- 8:30pm: En Vogue (Leinie Lodge Bandshell Stage) — the 1990s are back! R&B hit-making trio En Vogue headline the Bandshell with hit songs like “Never Gonna Get It” and “Whatta Man,” and look to wow audiences with their show-stopping vocals.
- 9:15pm: Laser Encore’s Laser Hitz Show (Eco Experience) — lasers and music combine for a visual spectacle each night of the Fair, outside the Eco Experience building.