The first weekend of the Fair has concluded, and the Great Minnesota Get-Together is in full swing! With the week in-between both weekends of the Fair comes smaller crowds but not lower excitement, as the Fair does a great job of making sure all 12 days are packed full of things to do. Day Five is Seniors Day, Kids Day and Minnesota State Patrol Day at the Fair, with a variety of special events and special deals available to Fairgoers, including discounted admission for those age 5-12 or 65+.
Below is a selection of what we think is most worthy of checking out on Day Five; for a full daily schedule, visit the Minnesota State Fair official site at http://www.mnstatefair.org:
- 9:00am-1:00pm: Stock Dog Sheepherding Trials (Coliseum) — the exciting and varied action in the Coliseum continues with a unique event that tasks dogs with guiding sheep through an obstacle course, with competition in three different divisions.
- 11:00am, 1:00pm and 3:00pm: Raptor Displays and Flying Demonstrations (DNR Building Garden Stage) — Make your way to the DNR Garden Stage for Last Chance Forever Conservancy’s raptor show, which they have presented at the Fair for many years running. Owls, falcons and hawks swoop over the crowd and the intelligent conservationists dazzle with facts about these majestic creatures.
- 12:30pm: Trivia Mafia (Star Tribune Stage) — play a game of team trivia with questions pulled from the Star Tribune’s archives for fantastic prizes.
- 12:30pm and 5:00pm: Sean Emery (Family Fair Stage) — this one is great for the kids, though usually the biggest laughs come from the adults in the audience. Sean Emery is a State Fair legend, performing his juggling act at the Family Fair Stage for decades. I can personally attest, after watching dozens of performances and doing a whole lot of growing up in the meantime, Emery’s act has never lost its luster.
- 2:00pm: Timberwolves Head Coach Tom Thibodeau (Star Tribune Stage) — sportswriter Jerry Zgoda interviews the Timberwolves head coach about the state of his basketball team just ahead of the highly anticipated 2018-2019 season, after finally making the playoffs for the first time in 13 seasons.
- 3:00pm, 4:00pm and 5:00pm: The WoodPicks (West End Market) — hailing from Northern Minnesota, this five piece band performs original songs and their own versions of classics from the realm of country and Americana music.
- 3:30pm and 4:45pm: Ben Haggard (Leinie Lodge Bandshell Stage) — the son of country music legend Merle Haggard, Ben Haggard has the pedigree of music royalty as he ventures into a music career all his own.
- 6:00pm: Minnesota State Fair Amateur Talent Contest (Leinie Lodge Bandshell Stage) — watch as contestants in various age divisions compete for the opportunity to advance to the Talent Contest Finals, held Sunday, September 2nd in the Grandstand.
- 8:00pm: The Beach Boys (Grandstand) — over 50 years of musical prowess back follow the Beach Boys into their headlining Grandstand performance that should entertain listeners of all ages with timeless hits and smooth harmonies.
- 8:00pm: The Dustbowl Revival (West End Market) — a massive eight-member band out of California will keep the party going at West End Market well into the evening with their unique blend of funk, bluegrass and roots music that is high-energy and danceable.
- 8:30pm: En Vogue (Leinie Lodge Bandshell Stage) — the 1990s are back! R&B hit-making trio En Vogue headline the Bandshell with hit songs like “Never Gonna Get It” and “Whatta Man,” and look to wow audiences with their show-stopping vocals.
- 9:15pm: Laser Encore’s Laser Hitz Show (Eco Experience) — lasers and music combine for a visual spectacle each night of the Fair, outside the Eco Experience building.