Welcome to the Fairly Unbalanced Fair News Round-Up!
This feature will run daily during the Minnesota State Fair and feature the best of news articles, blogs, social media posts and more about the Fair from across the internet. Have an interesting item we missed? Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Day One of the Fair is in the books, and it was a doozy! We’ll have to wait until mid-day for the Fair to release official attendance numbers, but in all my years of going on Opening Day, it certainly felt like the most crowded ever. Here’s what people are talking about online after one full day of the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
- Star Tribune food critic extraordinaire Rick Nelson spent Thursday RUNNING ALL OVER the Fairgrounds critiquing the new foods. His reviews are always a great barometer of what is best at the Fair each year, so be sure to check out his opinions.
- Sure, you could go all around the Fair actually trying and drinking and reviewing all the new craft beers offered this year. Or you could take the City Pages approach and simply rank them on HOW MINNESOTAN ITS NAME IS. I think I might stick with my approach, if for no other reason than it means I get to drink more tasty beers.
- Bring Me The News wants to highlight FORGOTTEN FOOD GEMS of the Fair among all the hubbub about new foods and long-time favorites. If I could add one more to their list: check out the Deep Fried Fruit On-A-Stick right outside of the Grandstand, they don’t get much press but they’re consistently great every time.
- Celebrity chef Andrew Zimmern has created a video to profess his love for the incredible GIZMO SANDWICH found on Machinery Hill. If this video doesn’t make you hungry immediately, you have a stronger will than I.
- Star Tribune music critic Jon Bream reviews last night’s BIG GRANDSTAND SHOW with country music hit-maker Maren Morris and former One Direction member Niall Horan. I was there by way of two free tickets passed off to my sister and I, and I think my ears are still ringing from all the screaming girls.
- The Star Tribune counts down the top 10 MUST SEE ARTWORKS at the Fair’s Fine Arts Building. Highlighting these great works of art is nice, but my recommendation is to set aside an hour or so and go see these 10 and all the other great pieces for yourself! The Fine Arts curators do an incredible job each year of highlighting art from across mediums and across the state.