The Minnesota State Fair is in full swing as it enters the first weekend! Good luck dodging the crowds as the weekend traditionally brings many more visitors to the Fairgrounds than the first two days experienced.
Below is a selection of what we think is most worthy of checking out on Day Three; for a full daily schedule, visit the Minnesota State Fair official site at http://www.mnstatefair.org:
- 8:00am: Horse Show Draft Horse Halter (Compeer Arena) — watch the beautiful Belgian, Clydesdale and Percheron horse breeds get led by talented trainers around the arena ring.
- 9:00am, 11:00am, 1:00pm, 3:00pm and 5:00pm: Minnesota 4H Dog Agility (Pet Pavilions) — check out the brand new Pet Pavilions on the north end of Machinery Hill and watch dogs race through an exciting obstacle course.
- 10:00am-1:00pm: The Current Activity: Rock the Cradle Pop Up (MPR Booth) — children of all ages can get hands-on with musical instruments at this educational and fun event presented by Minnesota Public Radio.
- 11:00am: Trivia Mafia (Star Tribune Booth) — compete with your fellow Fairgoers in pub-style trivia related to stories pulled from the Star Tribune archives to win fabulous prizes.
- 11:00am, 1:00pm and 3:00pm: Raptor Displays and Flying Demonstrations (DNR Building Garden Stage) — Make your way to the DNR Garden Stage for Last Chance Forever Conservancy’s raptor show, which they have presented at the Fair for many years running. Owls, falcons and hawks swoop over the crowd and the intelligent conservationists dazzle with facts about these majestic creatures.
- 11:30am-2:15pm: Minnesota State Fiddle Contest (West End Market) — hear the finest fiddle players in the state compete in five different divisions face off in a musical battle for supremacy.
- 12:30pm and 5:00pm: Sean Emery (Family Fair Stage) — this one is great for the kids, though usually the biggest laughs come from the adults in the audience. Sean Emery is a State Fair legend, performing his juggling act at the Family Fair Stage for decades. I can personally attest, after watching dozens of performances and doing a whole lot of growing up in the meantime, Emery’s act has never lost its luster.
- 1:00pm: Greater Twin Cities Youth Symphonies (AFL-CIO Labor Pavilion) — truly talented youth musicians will perform musical selections in the open air Labor Pavilion stage.
- 3:00pm, 4:00pm and 5:00pm: The High 48s (West End Market) — a five-piece bluegrass band out of Minneapolis capable of mixing the old school Americana sound with contemporary influences.
- 3:00-7:00pm: The Current Live Broadcast: Oake & Riley in the Afternoon (MPR Booth) — this special edition of The Current’s weekday morning show promises special guests throughout the broadcast from this evening’s Grandstand show.
- 4:00pm: Trampled by Turtles with Chris Riemenschneider (Star Tribune) — Duluth-based band Trampled By Turtles sit down for an interview with the Star Tribune’s music critic ahead of their huge Grandstand show later on.
- 6:00pm: Minnesota State Fair Amateur Talent Contest (Leinie Lodge Bandshell Stage) — watch as contestants in various age divisions compete for the opportunity to advance to the Talent Contest Finals, held Sunday, September 2nd in the Grandstand.
- 6:30pm: The Current’s Music On-A-Stick featuring Trampled by Turtles, Lord Huron, and Lissie (Grandstand) — tonight’s Grandstand performance is a huge triple-bill featuring some of the best acts indie rock and Americana music, headlined by Minnesota’s own Trampled By Turtles.
- 8:00pm: Ipso Facto (International Bazaar) — Minneapolis-based reggae, jazz and funk legends together since the 1980s will ensure that the International Bazaar is the place to dance and party well into the night.
- 8:00pm: Mayda (West End Market) – R&B and pop collide into the powerful Mayda, who will light up the stage at the Schilling Amphitheater.
- 8:30pm: BoDeans (Leinie Lodge Bandshell) — pioneers of alternative rock, the band have opened for a number of major musical talents for large arena shows since their formation in the 1980s.
- 9:15pm: Laser Encore’s Laser Hitz Show (Eco Experience) — lasers and music combine for a visual spectacle each night of the Fair, outside the Eco Experience building.