Welcome to the Fairly Unbalanced Fair News Round-Up!
This feature will run daily during the Minnesota State Fair and feature the best of news articles, blogs, social media posts and more about the Fair from across the internet. Have an interesting item we missed? Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Today is Day One of the Minnesota State Fair, and excitement is through the roof! Here’s what the web has to say about the Fair leading in to the gates opening today:
- The Minneapolis Star Tribune shared an interesting article about… well, ALL THE SHARING that will be going on over the next 12 days on social media about the Fair. How fitting.
- You can’t have a Minnesota State Fair without a PRINCESS KAY of the Milky Way, and last night the 2018 Princess received her crown. A year-long stint as the state’s top ambassador for all things dairy awaits… after posing for her customary butter sculpture later today, of course.
- Star Tribune food critic RICK NELSON is one of the biggest inspirations for starting this site, as he has done a remarkable job every year covering the new Fair foods for the newspaper (look for this year’s edition in tomorrow’s News Round-Up). His article today discusses his favorites over the last 20 years covering culinary delights at the Fair.
- Speaking of foodies, eight different TWIN CITIES CHEFS provide their insight into what they eat at the Fair. Surprisingly, many of them go for the same standbys that many Fairgoers rely on: cheese curds, Pronto Pups and Sweet Martha’s cookies.
- The St. Paul Pioneer Press helpfully provides SAFETY TIPS to ensure your day at the Fair goes smoothly.
- MPR News shares 4 NEW CHANGES to the Fair this year, including big changes to park-and-ride buses from Metro Transit.
- KARE 11 gets a little more existential and asks the question, “why do we go CRAZY for the Minnesota State Fair?” As if our obsession needs a tangible explanation…
- A prop from the next season of GAME OF THRONES? Nope, just a hilarious map tweeted out by the fantastic Ball Park Cafe, showing you what to avoid on your way to finding their 23 craft beers on tap at their stand near the Main Gate. I highly recommend the Lift Bridge Brewing Mini Donut Beer there, by the way.